Yesterday we had the opportunity to attend the LMA-LA Chapter’s Continuing Marketing Education event where big ideas were brought to life. Our own Jennifer Whittier and Sam Shipley participated in the Cross Collaborations that Work segment of the conference.
Their session A Successful Marriage: Marketing & IT Working Together provided best practices and insights to succeed with technology. By collaborating together marketing and IT departments can identify and prioritize investments that grow into business for a firm. Here are a few best practices for collaboration:
- Hold quarterly meetings with both departments to discuss projects and road blocks
- Review the annual marketing budget together before submission so everyone knows what to expect
- Discuss new large cross department projects at the outset
- Make sure project plans and timing are discussed and agreed to
- Communication and documentation are key in a successful partnership
- Get to know each other personally by having team activities or social gatherings
- Encourage/invite CIO to participate in committees such as client team meetings
- Help market each other internally and give recognition and appraisal
The session wrapped up by leaving the audience members in laughter as the differences in the thought process between the two departments were showcased.
For more information on the conference visit their website: http://lmalaconference.la/ or check out the conference tweets #LMACME.